Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WIP Wednesday: DIY Clothing?

One of my many goals (fantasies?) is to start making, altering, upcycling my own clothing. I really don't believe that I have great fashion sense, but there is plenty of inspiration out there to help me along the way. Of course I'd like to express my creativity, but this goal of mine is also environmentally and financially motivated.

My first project: Rosa's Sleeveless Cardi (Ravelry link) from Emma Fassio Knitting (there's a pdf link to the pattern on the right sidebar). I did have to make some adjustments since my gauge is different, but hopefully it will work out in the end! I'm using a bamboo/wool blend yarn, so this little top should be a great layering piece this spring. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it before July! :)



Do you have any favorite clothing patterns/tutorials/ideas? I remember seeing diy-clothing challenges before, but can't seem to find them now.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know as you keep working on this. I finally got rid of several unfinished projects because I realized I jumped in too deep and didn't have the skills to upcycle as I planned.... but I'm still working.

    I just found this website: http://www.dana-made-it.com/ WOW!! Her subtitle is Celebrate the Boy 2011. Lots of upcycling and projects galore. I was overwhelmed and had a leave- but I want to make that gnome hat for Alanna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite cooking blog (as in, all my new favorite recipes are from this site) just made a post highlighting another blog that has a bunch of DIY clothes modification projects: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/02/spotlight-make-it-and-love-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've seen ponchos and eternity scarves that are just beautiful... I'm sure you'd be great at making clothes to layer

    ReplyDelete