Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

WIP Wednesdays (two days late)


On my previous blog, Thoughts During Walks, I sometimes posted my crafting works-in-progress on Wednesdays, under the topic of "WIP Wednesdays." I always have something--usually many things--I'm working on, so I would like to continue this on Contentedly Home. Please feel free to join me if you'd like--I'm always interested in what others have on their needles, hooks, canvases, and sewing machines! :)

I've been plugging away on my Granny Stripes afghan, albeit very slowly. It's always nice to have at least one mindless project stashed away to work on after the boys are in bed and Coach is watching M*A*S*H* reruns. I do hope to finish the afghan soon--I really need to replace the current blanket that is covering our worn-out recliner.

I have a goal of being able to pull out two sets of mittens and hats on the first cold morning of the year. At first I thought that I would like to present the boys with these handmade knits in their Christmas stockings, but I am afraid that the love and warmth with which I want them to be presented would be lost with all of the hustle and bustle of Christmas (there will be plenty more opinions and goals regarding Christmas and consumerism as we get closer to the season). What better time than to present them than when they're truly needed and as a sweet surprise? I sure hope the boys will agree!

The first hat I've been working on is a Gnome Hat from the book, The Children's Year. It is very simple, yet whimsical. I am using Knit Picks Swish DK and size 3 needles. Although this is a child's hat, it sure is taking a while to knit! I plan on making matching striped mittens as long as I have enough orange yarn. By the way, orange is one of my favorite colors on little boys--different than the usual blues and greens, but not too "girly." This set will be for Ben, with plenty of room to grow. I have not yet decided on a set for Matthew, but I'm thinking something fairly simple. Any knitting/crochet suggestions are welcome!

Finally, a couple of projects for me. Last spring I started on the Favorite Cardigan, but spring fever got to me and I put it away for the summer. With our nights already feeling pretty chilly, I'm ready to finally finish it up. I just have a little bit more of the body to do as well as the arms (3/4 length). I'm excited about this sweater and the top-down construction! I've also been working on a pair of socks for myself--this time toe-up. So, I've got one top-down sweater and one toe-up sock on my needles right now! :)

As I'm typing this I'm remembering several other projects I started: a baby sweater, baby hats, and a doily. I'm not sure if these should be categorized as WIPs or UFOs (unfinished objects)...hopefully I will complete some of these projects soon!

Blessings,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment